August 30, 2012

50 Shades of Grey


So, I’m guessing that you’ve heard of a little book called Fifty Shades of Grey that’s rocketed its way to the top of both the US and UK fiction charts?  Nowadays of course, it’s infamous and there are even talks of a movie deal with rumors floating around about who will play the lead. The book was originally posted online as “Master of the Universe” and thank God they changed the title!
The premise of the book is simple. Young woman meets powerful young man and there is an instant attraction or interest between them from the beginning. He ‘runs into her’ again in the next day or two, and insists that they see each other again after that. She resists, figuring he’s too rich and intense for her but he persists. Eventually they have a proper date and he confesses his…intentions for their relationship. Turns out, he’s into a bit of the kink and hands over a contract that would see all her sexual needs met, and possibly exceeded. All she has to do is hand over total and complete control of her mind and life to him. Of course, she can’t help but come back to him time and again, like a moth to a flame. The main character, Anastasia Steele, is a bumbling, inept, shy young woman, incapable of realizing how sexy and beautiful she is. The man, Christian Grey, is a complicated, rich, powerful and incredibly handsome alpha male

I had no idea what I’d let myself in for and there wasn’t even any naughtiness for the first 80 pages or so.  Could it be that there was an actual STORY there?  Well dear reader, yes there is.  Besides all the hype about the erotica, there is a story, there is romance and there is character development.  There’s even a little humor thrown in for good measure with the flirty e mail exchanges (very Brigit Jones like) and I really didn’t mind the inclusion of Ana’s Inner Goddess who acts out every now and then.  I’m not going to say the book was perfect – there were some overused words and I got a bit sick of seeing “oh my” all the time.

At first, I was embarrassed to tell people that I’d read the book as it was my own little guilty pleasure but now everyone’s reading it so what does it matter?  I’m not ashamed to say that I really liked it. I heard one blogger call the book tame and quite frankly, I’m not going to question what goes on in her bedroom but I think it’s a very sexy read.  I loved the book.

See who is in the running to play El James' lead characters, Christian Grey and Anastasia, in "Fifty Shades of Grey." 

Rooney Mara and Ryan Gosling



Kristen Stewart and Matt Bomer



Amanda Seyfried and Chris Hemsworth



Mila Kunis and Alex Skarsgard





Keira Knightley and Leonardo DiCaprio



Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder



Leighton Meester and Bradley Cooper



Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman



Those are the rumors floating around Hollywood but now for my choice:

Sarah Hyland and Chance Crawford







Lucy Hale  and  Chris Helmsworth



 Have you read the book? What did you think? Who should play Anastasia and who should play Christian Grey? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what's up??

The Art of Coziness

  Its winter, which means the weather outside is frightful but that doesn't mean your home can’t be cozy and delightful. A cozy home s...