Lack of sleep can make us Cranky, Tired, and Groggy. It is also the top reason so many of us have trouble loosing weight, according to a sweedish study. When we are sleep deprived our ability to burn calories can drop as much as 20%. To fix this issue we need at least 7-9 hours of sleep a night. I know what your thinking easier said than done. If your a bit of an insomniac I am sharing with you a few techniques I use to sleep sounder awake refreshed and ready to go each day.
- Stretch, massage, and take deep breaths. Stretching and deep breathing help relax your body and mind.
- Give your calfs a massage as well, it will stimulate the nerves in the leg that sooth the adrenal glands that produce stress hormones.
- Aromatherapy-Both lavendar, chamomile, and vanilla are all relaxing scents that may help you fall asleep a bit faster.
- Keep a regular schedule. Go to bed at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning, even on the weekends.
- Nap to make up for lost time but limit your naps to 30 minutes and never nap late in afternoon or at night.
- Increase your light exposure in the daytime and be sure to black out everything at night. Use an eyemask if it's helpful.
- Turn off the TV and computer, and read from a bed side lamp rather than a backlit devise.
- Change your lightbulbs to soft lighting and use a nightlight for bathroom trips so you don't walk into a wall or expose yourself to too much light. This would make it harder to go back to sleep.
|Open your Blinds in the morning to the sunrise|
- Play soothing sounds to fall asleep and try to block out bad noise such as traffic and dogs barking. Earplugs might be useful.
- Stay away from heavy meals and stimulants. If you are hungry late at night eat some fruit. The natural fructose increases production of calming chemicals making you feel sleepy in as little as 20 minutes.
|Play soothing sounds like a running streem|
|Fruit is a great late night snack|
Hopefully this list will help you get on a better schedule. Try a few techniques a day if your having trouble sleeping and you will be off in slumberland in no time.